You are an aunt or uncle and you have read the tips for being the best aunt or uncle ever. Tip number six is to savor the moments. One way to savor the moments is through journal writing.
The following writing prompts are not only to help you capture the moments, but also to help you think through the relationship that you would like to have with your nieces or nephews, whether they are minors or adults.
Let’s get started.
Journal Prompts for Aunts or Uncles
- How many nieces and/or nephews do you have?
- How would you like them to remember you?
- What traditions would you like to begin or maintain in the lives of your nieces /nephews?
- What does being the best Aunt or Uncle mean to you? What does it look like?
- How can you set aside time to know your nieces /nephews and their goals in life?
- How can you help them achieve their goals?
- What is your relationship like with their parents (or the people who are raising them)?
- How can you improve or maintain your relationship with the parental figures so that you may continue to have access to the little ones?
- If your nieces /nephews are adults, what do they need from you now that you did not or could not provide in their childhood (For instance, a routine or act might not have been appropriate for the age or mental development of the child)? How can you incorporate whatever the newer elements are into your relationship?
- If your nieces /nephews are adults, what should you now omit from your relationship that was appropriate when they were children, but does not help them to progress today?
- If your nieces /nephews are adults, what traditions will you continue from their childhood?
- “I feel loved when my Aunt/ Uncle does______.” How would your nieces /nephews complete that sentence?
- What are your Aunts /Uncles like?
- What have your Aunts /Uncles taught you that you will add to the relationship you have with your nieces /nephews?
- How can you encourage your nieces/nephews to write in journals?
- Create journals about your nieces/nephews which…
- …Record thoughts you want them to remember
- …Capture words or concepts that they have uttered to you
- …Include pictures of them, pictures of them with you
- …Include notes from them
- …Tell them about your childhood relationship with your sibling(s)
- …You present as a gift to them at some point (You can leave the journals to them in your will, even.)
Peace be with you,
2 thoughts on “Journal Prompts for Aunts and Uncles”